Another quinoa post? Yes, yes it is. I seem to be in a bit of an obsessive phase where quinoa is concerned. Last week it was the Beet & Quinoa Tabouli and this week I've mixed it up a bit with broccoli and fresh mozzarella. I love that quinoa cooks in just a few minutes, and with this recipe the broccoli roasts while the quinoa cooks so this comes together in a matter of minutes. Roasting the broccoli in lemon juice, olive oil, and red pepper flakes really makes this dish... we enjoyed it so much that I've made it twice in the last week!
Spicy Roasted Broccoli Quinoa Salad
Adapted from Gaby Dalkin via Design Sponge
- 2 bunches broccoli, stalks trimmed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to make this as hot as you please)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, diced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces, about 1 1/2 inches.
3. Place broccoli in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and toss to coat the broccoli. Transfer the broccoli to a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 14 to 18 minutes until stalks are tender and the heads of the broccoli are just lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. While the broccoli is roasting, combine the quinoa and vegetable stock in a medium-sized pot. Bring the liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let the quinoa cook until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
6. Once the quinoa is fully cooked, fluff with a fork, and toss in the roasted broccoli, diced mozzarella, and halved cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.