Yield = 8 servings
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups dark rum (optional)
- Whole nutmeg
1. In a saucepan, heat 2 cups milk but don’t boil. Turn off the heat.
2. In a mixing bowl, gradually add the sugar into the egg yolks and whisk until thick and pale.
3. Whisk 1 cup of the warm milk into the yolk-sugar mixture. Add this back to the milk in the pan, stirring over low heat until thickened and blended. Turn off the heat and quickly stir in the cream.
4. Place pan in a large bowl half-filled with ice water. Stir occasionally, until chilled. When chilled, stir into punch bowl and add rum and remaining milk.
5. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Then fold them into the nog. Top each serving with grated nutmeg. Note that you'll have to re-whisk the nog if you wait to serve it because the frothy egg whites will separate a bit from the milk/cream/egg base. And if you aren't serving the nog immediately, refrigerate it until you are.